Update: Version 2.16.3 is now available with additional bug fixes
Version 2.16.x comes with a 30% file size reduction as we improve our build tooling in preparation for the upcoming major release v3.0.0. Specifically, v2.15.0 was 111KB (34KB when gzipped). The new v2.16.x is a much improved 77KB (27KB when gzipped) while maintaining exactly the same functionality.
Read on below for:
- Switching build tooling
- Update Snowplow Micro to v1
- Other features and bug fixes
- Documentation and help
1. Switching build tooling
As originally suggested by
bernardosrulzon, we have switched to using the Closure Compiler (GitHub issue #583). We have also switched to using rollup.js and gulp (GitHub issue #752). Together, these two updates reduce the
sp.js filesize by 30%.
2. Update Snowplow Micro to v1
We have recently released v1.0.0 of Snowplow Micro, a very small version of a full Snowplow data collection pipeline that it can be launched by a test suite to include tracking in automated tests. You can read more about it in the release post.
3. Other features and bug fixes
This tracker also comes with a few other under the hood improvements:
- Switch to Github Actions (GitHub issue #844)
- Add license banner to rollup builds (GitHub issue #845)
- Bump snowplow-tracker-core to 0.9.2 (GitHub issue #841)
The tracker is available as a published asset in the 2.16.3 Github release. To upgrade, Snowplow BDP and Open Source users should host the 2.16.3 version of sp.js asset on a CDN, and load the tracker from there.
sp.js yourself, however if you wish to test this release you can do so by using the assets on jsDelivr.
5. Documentation and help
- The setup guide
- The quickstart guide
- The full API documentation
- The documentation on the Google Tag Manager custom template
- The documentation on the Analytics npm package
The releases page on GitHub has the full list of changes made in these versions.